Titan Quest II

Titan Quest II

Anarch Aug 12, 2023 @ 5:39am
What is known about Titan Quest 2 (and Project Minerva)?
Project Minerva:

I presume that Project Minerva was the development phase name for what is now Titan Quest 2. That could be a little worrisome if they didn't originally intend to make a TQ successor and instead adapted another project into it. Maybe someone can confirm one way or another.

Some things known or strongly suggested about TQ2:

• The game will be set in ancient Greece and will feature a story centered around fate and the goddess, Nemesis.
  • Players will be able to create their own character and choose from two masteries, which will allow them to mix and match abilities to create a unique playstyle.
  • The game will feature a handcrafted open world with lots of secrets to discover.
  • Enemies will be able to form factions against the player, combining their own powers together in an interesting mirror to how players can mix abilities of two classes.
  • The game will support online multiplayer with online co-op and PvP multiplayer.
  • The game will be built in Unreal Engine 5.
  • The game is scheduled to be released for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X/S.
  • "Combat is supposed to feel more tactical and less 'like a clickfest," according to developers. (source: https://videogames.si.com/news/titan-quest-2-announed)
  • Even common weapons can be upgraded into uniques. (source: https://www.gematsu.com/2023/08/titan-quest-ii-announced-for-ps5-xbox-series-and-pc)
  • The campaign will be "exploration-focused" and reward curiosity. (source: https://www.androidheadlines.com/2023/08/titan-quest-ii-announced-cinematic-trailer-thq-nordic.html)

Anything else known?

EDIT: Updated with additional info and some sources to it.
Last edited by Anarch; Sep 27, 2023 @ 5:44am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
McMoogle Aug 12, 2023 @ 5:47am 
Minerva is the Roman analog to Athena.

Why do you find the project name worrisome? Project Athena would've been a dead giveaway. At least Minerva threw the scent off a little.
Anarch Aug 12, 2023 @ 7:36am 
Originally posted by McMoogle:
Minerva is the Roman analog to Athena.

Why do you find the project name worrisome? Project Athena would've been a dead giveaway. At least Minerva threw the scent off a little.

As I mentioned, the worry is because they may have started by developing something else entirely, and then part way through re-adapted that other project to "become" TQ2, instead of using that as a north star from the beginning. It would be much better to learn that they simply used Project Minerva as a disguise for the TQ2 development path, but I'm uncertain why they'd feel the need to conceal that fact, if so.
mcgtron Aug 12, 2023 @ 8:23am 
i'm fairly certain they have been working on TQ2 right from the start. the fact that they called it "project minerva" implies that it was a working title. why add "project" to the name? they probably didn't want to call it TQ2 right away so that they could spend some time on it with little to no attention being paid to them. as soon as the TQ2 name got revealed, they are being hounded by game journalists and fans who want details. i doubt it started as a different game then changed to TQ2. my guess is that THQ released TQ1AE and the first new expansion to see how much interest was out there. it did well, so they committed to TQ2. they kept it quiet for a few years so the devs could work in peace. and now we are at a time where arpgs are being talked about a lot, thanks to D4 and PoE2. so what better time to reveal the real name of the game, when fan interest is at its highest point in over a decade?
Anarch Aug 12, 2023 @ 9:12am 
Originally posted by mcgtron:
i'm fairly certain they have been working on TQ2 right from the start. the fact that they called it "project minerva" implies that it was a working title.

You might be right and it's a definite possibility, though we're both speculating here. :lunar2019grinningpig:

As you also say, interest in the genre is reaching a peak. Even as that's true, there's speculation that Crate might announce a Grim Dawn 2 as well. What a time for ARPG gamers!
mcgtron Aug 12, 2023 @ 9:21am 
the speculation about GD2 is misguided. Zantai of Crate Entertainment has said that it will be at least a decade before we hear anything at all about GD2. Crate is currently working on 3 games, and none of them are arpg games. they did just announce that there will be a fairly substantial patch to GD coming soon, and it looks like it will have a new mastery as part of it. but GD2? not coming for at least 10+ years.
Anarch Aug 12, 2023 @ 9:32am 
Originally posted by mcgtron:
the speculation about GD2 is misguided. Zantai of Crate Entertainment has said that it will be at least a decade before we hear anything at all about GD2. Crate is currently working on 3 games, and none of them are arpg games. they did just announce that there will be a fairly substantial patch to GD coming soon, and it looks like it will have a new mastery as part of it. but GD2? not coming for at least 10+ years.

I think you're mostly right in this view, but to be clear, Zantai never claimed it would be 10+ years for Grim Dawn 2. For some reason, people started to say this after his interview with SegmentNext in 2021. He did say that they were taking their time thinking what they wanted to do with Grim Dawn 2 but never put a decade+ timeline on it.

Discussion, I think on their own forums, also led to someone at Crate suggesting that they were very much focused on Farther Frontiers, and that Grim Dawn couldn't start rolling until they were done with that. It's entirely realistic to imagine we could see a Grim Dawn 2 in less than 10 years, regardless. GD1 had a slow timeline and took them 7 with literally just 2 or 3 employees, and they have several multiples of that now.
MegalomaniacNG  [developer] Aug 12, 2023 @ 12:12pm 
Since we are getting a grant from the German government there was a point where this project had to be communicated and we could of course also used a bogus working title that made no sense but instead we chose something that is related to mythology. And so the name Project Minerva was born. But our project was always Titan Quest 2.
GrimVince Aug 12, 2023 @ 7:11pm 
Also the Overlord was in the PM picture from day one. :)
TsudaTumiko Aug 12, 2023 @ 7:32pm 
Originally posted by MegalomaniacNG:
Since we are getting a grant from the German government there was a point where this project had to be communicated and we could of course also used a bogus working title that made no sense but instead we chose something that is related to mythology. And so the name Project Minerva was born. But our project was always Titan Quest 2.
For how long has been TQ2 in development?
Schutzengel Aug 12, 2023 @ 8:33pm 
I hope each mastery is linked to a god, 2 of which you side with for that playthrough, opening up specific quests, artifacts and factions for the 2 out of 8 gods youve chosen.

As well as counter-factions, quest and artifacts for the 6 out of 8 gods you did not chose, some of which may join Nemesis. That would be 8x7=54 possible playthroughs.

I hope my favourite skill, the Liche King (or Queen) is back including lots of skills it can cast.

If a dev reads this, please open up (Steam) Early Access as early as possible. Games like BG3 have shown than a great lot of player feedback can lead to a great gaming experience.
Prec1sioN Aug 13, 2023 @ 2:46am 
thats very good i got scared about the mount and dodge and counter part i hate those ideas reminds me of new gen arpgs and d4 are we going to meet more personifications? hecatoncheires? creatures you did not use in tq 1? all the titans? mb fight greek gods to save them from the curse of nemesis?mb combine some old masteries earth and storm so everyone is happy? or all old ones? necromanster? skeleton enemies and zombie enemies mb? original music? mb when we teleport pegasus comes picks us up? bellarophon would be upset transmog ? we need alot of answers we need Q&A
Buddusky Aug 13, 2023 @ 3:55am 
Originally posted by Schutzengel:
I hope each mastery is linked to a god, 2 of which you side with for that playthrough, opening up specific quests, artifacts and factions for the 2 out of 8 gods youve chosen.

As well as counter-factions, quest and artifacts for the 6 out of 8 gods you did not chose, some of which may join Nemesis. That would be 8x7=54 possible playthroughs.

I hope my favourite skill, the Liche King (or Queen) is back including lots of skills it can cast.

If a dev reads this, please open up (Steam) Early Access as early as possible. Games like BG3 have shown than a great lot of player feedback can lead to a great gaming experience.
This would be freaking awesome if implemented. Hope the devs would consider this route.
Anarch Aug 13, 2023 @ 4:45am 
And so the name Project Minerva was born. But our project was always Titan Quest 2.

That's satisfying to hear and I appreciate that you took time to make the history clear. Looking forward to learning more about TQ2 -- especially its release date! :steamthumbsup:
MegalomaniacNG  [developer] Aug 13, 2023 @ 3:34pm 
Originally posted by Tsuda Tumiko:
For how long has been TQ2 in development?
We entered an early concept phase in 2018. But real development started when we were done with the last addon of SpellForce 3 which was in 2020.
TsudaTumiko Aug 13, 2023 @ 3:41pm 
well Diablo IV was in development 6 years and it took a lot of devs, that means this game probably will come out in 2025,
Last edited by TsudaTumiko; Aug 13, 2023 @ 3:44pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
Per page: 1530 50